Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Boulogne-sur-mer, France









I am really developing a serious love affair with France. Especially for the food, since I am a food addict.

I was invited to go with the partners of my firm on their annual trip to France which involved lots of fine dining and drinking, all expenses paid. How does one say no to this? Well you don't!

We set off across the channel on the Eurotunnel where you basically drive onto the train and sit in your car (although you can walk up and down the narrow sides) and in 25 minutes, you're in France. It was a bit claustrophobic but a good, cheap way to get your car and you transported across the channel. Upon arrival we zoomed off to Boulogne which is a nice little fishing town and seaside resort. We checked into Hotel La Matelote which was the quaintest little hotel and I even had my own massive room with a double bed! Result! We then walked into the town centre for lunch at Aux Pecheurs d'Etaples, a seafood restaurant my bosses have been frequenting over the past 25 years and whose owner they are close to. I shared a massive seafood platter with my 2 bosses and my God, the seafood could not have been any fresher than if the crabs, oysters, shellfish, lobsters and prawns jumped out of the ocean and placed themselves on the table. All this was guzzled down with beer and white wine.

For dinner, we all got dressed up and went to the hotel's restaurant, which has been awarded a Michelin star. We had the tasting menu and everything was divine. My favourite by far was the sea bass with rice-shaped pasta. And the foie gras was rich and buttery. We drank champagne and white wine and I don't care what anyone says, there is a difference between wines that cost £6.99 and those that cost £60.00 (in case you hadn't caught on, the latter is of course better).

After that we went for a walk along the beach but Boulogne doesn't really have a night life so we ended up drinking back at the hotel before turning in for the night.

The next day, we left after breakfast and after a hypermarket goose chase (for those who don't know, hypermarts in France are only allowed to open 5 Sundays in a year which they all cleverly reserve nearer to Christmas) which resulted in us finding an Oddbins, we went for lunch at Restaurant Le Liegeoise in Wimereux, another restaurant frequented by my bosses over the past 25 years and again, we ate and drank like kings. For starters, I had the stew of lobster medallions, baby vegetables and morel mushrooms and for mains, the chef's special sea bass of the day, which melted in my mouth. For desert, a chocolate souffle and vanilla ice-cream.

After every meal in France you finish up with coffee and petit fours (little bites) i.e. more cakes!

Needless to say, I was bursting out of my jeans by the time we got back to London but like I gave a damn!


1 Comments:

At 12:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm getting fat just by reading this! :Þ

 

Post a Comment

<< Home